About Us and Remembering Our Past
Grosse Ile Hardware was founded by Moon Milliman as an extension of the current Richardson’s Gas Station in 1954 and originally offered home hardware items in addition to automotive goods and service. Milliman built the building (above) in 1955. It is located on Macomb Street across from Richardson’s gas station. Since that time, the store has transitioned and grown under the direction of two family owners.
Moon operated the business from 1954 until its sale to Robert and Jacqueline Lowler in 1969. Bob and Jackie provided stewardship of the business for 30 years while renovating it several times to increase it’s size and modernizing it’s Macomb Street appearance.
Ray and Laura Biddle, current owners, purchased the store from Bob and Jackie Lowler on January 2, 2002. Since then, Ray and Laura have made significant renovations, both increasing the store’s size and it’s offerings to local homeowners and businesses. Currently the retail operations of the store consist of 7,500 sq. ft with additional warehouse storage of 750 sq. ft.
Through the family ownership transitions, Grosse Ile Hardware has maintained the “customer friendly & full-service” attitude which has made it a first choice destination for all home repair and renovation items; lawn and garden supplies; and full-service power equipment sales and support.